Optical Fiber Patch Cord is used to make jumpers from equipment to fiber optic cabling links. There is a thicker protective layer, which is generally used for the connection between the optical transceiver and the terminal box, and is used in some fields such as optical fiber communication systems, optical fiber access networks, optical fiber data transmission, and local area networks.
Optical Fiber Patch Cord (also called optical fiber connector) means that both ends of the optical cable are equipped with connector plugs to realize the active connection of the optical path; one end with a plug is called a pigtail. Optical Fiber Patch Cord/Cable is similar to coaxial cable, except that there is no mesh shield. In the center is the glass core through which light propagates. In a multimode fiber, the diameter of the core is 50μm~65μm, roughly equivalent to the thickness of a human hair. The single-mode fiber core has a diameter of 8 μm to 10 μm. The core is surrounded by a glass envelope with a lower refractive index than the core to keep the optical fiber in the core. On the outside is a thin plastic jacket to protect the envelope.
1. Low insertion loss;
2. Good repeatability;
3. Large return loss;
4. Good inter-plug performance;
5. Good temperature stability;
6. Strong tensile performance.
Fiber optic patch cord products are widely used in: communication room, fiber to the home, local area network, fiber optic sensor, fiber optic communication system, fiber optic connection transmission equipment, national defense combat readiness, etc. It is suitable for cable television network, telecommunication network, computer optical fiber network and optical test equipment. The subdivision is mainly used in several aspects.
1. Optical fiber communication system
2. Optical fiber access network
3. Optical fiber data transmission
4. Fiber CATV
5. Local Area Network (LAN)
6. Test equipment
7. Fiber optic sensor
Optical Fiber Patch Cord can be divided into common silicon-based optical fiber single-mode and multi-mode jumpers according to different transmission media, and other optical fiber patch cord such as plastics as the transmission medium; according to the structure of the connector, it can be divided into: FC Jumpers, SC jumpers, ST jumpers, LC jumpers, MTRJ jumpers, MPO jumpers, MU jumpers, SMA jumpers, FDDI jumpers, E2000 jumpers, DIN4 jumpers, D4 jumpers, etc. form. The more common fiber optic jumpers can also be divided into FC-FC, FC-SC, FC-LC, FC-ST, SC-SC, SC-ST, etc.
①FC-type optical fiber jumper: The external strengthening method is a metal sleeve, and the fastening method is a turnbuckle. Generally used on the ODF side. (most used on the distribution frame)
②SC type optical fiber jumper: the connector for connecting the GBIC optical module, its shell is rectangular, and the fastening method is a plug-in latch type, without rotation. (Most used on router switches)
③ST type optical fiber jumper: commonly used in optical fiber distribution frame, the shell is round, and the fastening method is turnbuckle. (For 10Base-F connection, the connector is usually ST type)
④LC-type optical fiber jumper: the connector for connecting the SFP module, which is made of a modular jack (RJ) latch mechanism that is easy to operate. (Routers are commonly used)
Single-mode Fiber: Generally, fiber jumpers are indicated by yellow, and the connectors and protective sleeves are blue; the transmission distance is longer.
Multi-mode Fiber: Generally, fiber jumpers are represented by orange, and some are represented by gray, and the connectors and protective covers are in beige or black; the transmission distance is shorter.
How to check whether the fiber patch cord is qualified?
With the insertion loss tester, first use a light pen to test whether the jumper is light, make sure the fiber is not broken, and measure the index. General carrier-grade indicators: Insertion loss is less than 0.3dB, and return loss is greater than 45dB.
The performance test of fiber jumper is divided into:
1. Optical performance testing, including return loss/insertion loss testing. The test instrument can use FibKey 7602 return loss/insertion loss integrated tester.
2. End face geometry test, the parameters tested include radius of curvature, vertex offset, fiber height, etc. The test instrument is an interferometer, and many people use NorlandAC/NC3000 or CC6000 for testing. In particular, the CC6000 interferometer is used in more and more factories because of its superior cost performance.
3. Scratch detection on the fiber end face, using video fiber magnifier for observation, such as many factories use FibView FV-400PA for inspection. The instrument can give the clearest images and the operation is extremely simple. Some customers also use FibKey-5600 variable magnification magnifying glass for inspection. This instrument integrates 400 times, 200 times, and 80 times magnifiers, which can clearly and conveniently observe the fiber end face and ferrule end face. Of course, you can also use related software for automatic inspection.
4. Optical fiber tensile test, need to test the tensile force that the optical fiber connector can withstand.
5. Ambient temperature experiment, need to test the performance index of optical fiber connector under different ambient temperature
Precautions for use
The transceiver wavelengths of the optical modules at both ends of the fiber jumper must be the same, that is to say, both ends of the fiber must be optical modules of the same wavelength. The simple way to distinguish is that the colors of the optical modules must be the same. Generally, short-wave optical modules use multimode fibers (orange fibers), and long-wave optical modules use single-mode fibers (yellow fibers) to ensure the accuracy of data transmission.
Do not over-bend and loop the optical fiber during use, as this will increase the attenuation of the light during transmission.
After the fiber jumper is used, the fiber connector must be protected with a protective cover. Dust and oil will damage the coupling of the fiber.
If the fiber connector is dirty, you can clean it with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol, otherwise it will affect the communication quality.
1. Before use, the ceramic ferrule and the end face of the fiber jumper must be wiped clean with alcohol and absorbent cotton.
2. The minimum bending radius of the fiber is not less than 150mm when in use.
3. Protect the ferrule and the end face of the ferrule to prevent bumps and pollution. Wear a dust cap in time after disassembly.
4. Do not look directly at the end face of the optical fiber while the laser signal is being transmitted.
5. When there is damage caused by man-made or other force majeure, the damaged fiber jumper should be replaced in time.
6. Read the manual carefully before installation, and install and debug under the guidance of the manufacturer or dealer’s engineer.
7. If the optical fiber network or system is abnormal, you can use the troubleshooting method to test one by one. When testing or troubleshooting jumper faults, you can do a continuity test first, usually you can use a visible laser pointer to judge the entire optical fiber link. Or further use a precision optical fiber insertion loss return loss tester to test its various indicators. If the indicators are within the qualified range, the jumper indicator is normal, otherwise it is unqualified.
Post time: 2021-01-15